Friday 16 October 2009

Lost.

I have a confession to make, and I do not make this lightly: I have no sense of direction.

Seriously, zero.

I have lived in the same town my whole life and still get lost there. You could take me to the same building every day for a year and I would learn the exact route, but lead me out of a slightly different door or via a different road and I would have no clue as to how to get home. I would love to be one of those people who have an innate sense of knowing exactly which direction to go no matter where they are but sadly this is not one of my attributes (of which there are obviously numerous others).

Soooo, you will know if you read this blog every so often that on occassion I walk to and/or from the train station to work. Yesterday was one of those days. Normally I walk the same route the bus does (I find this safest), however yesterday morning as I walked in I discovered a route which cut quite a few minutes off my normal journey. Feeling very pleased with myself I decided to take the same route home and not end up stuck in rush hour traffic, grinding my teeth as the traffic lights turn red every time we reach them.

Bearing in mind the above statement regarding my poor (ie. non existent) sense of direction I'm sure you will realise : This was Not a Good Idea.

I knew after about 10 minutes of walking that something wasn't right, but I pushed onwards nevertheless. After 20 minutes and no sight of any familiar landmarks (let me warn you now, all of London looks EXACTLY THE SAME) I asked a porter of a hotel who (with a distinct look of pity in his eyes) stated I was in fact walking completely the wrong way and the train station I was after was actually forty minutes in the opposite direction.
I'll admit it, as I walked away I did start to cry a little bit.

I was lost in the Big Scary City.
How the hell did I get here?
Would I ever get to the station in time for my train?
Why meeeeeeeee?
Biting my lip, trying not to sob like an idiot I flagged down a black cab and tearfully asked him to take me to the train station.

My mistake cost me dear - an extra 50 minutes to my journey home, a large blister from my shoes and £6.90 in taxi fare. I know six whole pounds and ninety pennies.
I missed my train and ended up getting a later one - my self confidence now so shot to pieces I spent most the journey being paranoid that my common sense had failed me again and I had gotten on the wrong train by mistake (which I hadn't).

I did finally arrive home tired, stressed and in desperate need of a cup of tea but essentially unscathed.

So what have we learnt today my dears? That's right, know your strengths and don't go blithely wandering through London if your sense of direction is not so hot - You will get Lost.

I end todays lesson with these beautiful necklaces (which are available to buy here), pretty much purely to make myself feel better about my idioticness when I re-read this post.




Phew, much better now.
Have a splendid weekend.
And remember, don't get lost.
x

No comments:

Post a Comment